I wanted to make a easy to carry, lightweight shield for my WWII Captain America costume. I have seen several of these done using a metal medieval shield as a base, and that was going to be too big and heavy to carry around all night. So I made one from craft foam and Worbla.
- Large sheet of Worbla
- One large sheet of craft foam, which you can find at any craft store. I used black and about 3/4 inch thick. I wanted something substantial enough to hold the straps.
- Elastic, needle and thread for straps
- Heat Gun for Worbla
- Large sheet of paper
- Some kind of primer, either spray or Gesso
- Red, White and Blue spray paint
- Painters tape
- Utility Knife
- Draw your design out on paper and cut it out, same with the craft foam but use a utility knife
2) Next up create holes and add the elastic straps, then cover with paper.
3) Now time to trace, cut and apply the Worbla
4) Next comes the long boring process of preparing the Worbla surface. I used several layers of Gesso and a sander. I applied the coats with a big paint brush until I couldn’t see the Worbla texture anymore, then went at it with the sander until smooth. I then repeated the process until I had a nice smooth even surface.
5) Once your surface is ready then it’s time to paint! I started with a white base and then added the blue and then the red.
6) Peel off all the tape and you should have something that looks like this!